Category Archives: Personal
I had a horrible week at work and ended up by acting like a crazy B**** today !
That’s probably the best way to describe it.
I’ am not writing this post to talk about my life ( not your business ) , but i do feel it’s a #devLife thing and I wanna share it to hear what you think about it.
‘Kay, too much talk…yeah that’s me
Let’s start from the beginning:
I’ am a fresh graduate computer engineer and I recently got a job, which means I’m the NEWBIE or like one of my friends calls me: I’ am the “ Coin Coin”
First task 2 weeks ago : I had to work on a project from scratch using technologies I never worked with before and all by myself. First , that was FUN; I would learn new technologies and how projects are managed!!! Wohooo !!
Then I had to prepare a demo for the client in less than 10 days, which means no time to learn : it’s an immediate call to action. Hummm …that’s when things become LESS FUN
I don’t know what is the probability that the code you write works fine from the first run, I guess it’s less than 10 % for me . I had to deal with lots of exceptions …It’s the STRESS phase
And when you keep getting Emails ( you know from whom ) every half an hour to know about your work progress and to remind you about the deadline…that’s when things get WORST
The stress and pressure mix makes me wonder if I’ am able to do the job. Am I good enough ? Do I have the skills ? Or is it just because I’ am a newbie ?
Lots of people discussed the issue of wether coding is a skill , you have it or not, or it’s a matter of learning through experience.
That’s what was going on my mind the past days , I have to deal with all that and continue working in the same time -_-
Today was the deadline and today I was the Mad Developer . At some point I wasn’t able to think or to write code –> I just lost my temper. I honestly don’t know how I ended up doing the job ( Hell yeah )
But at the end of the day, I was wondering how I should deal with stress. Will I be facing it in every project? This is what I came up with:
- I have to change my attitude if I want to avoid a heart attack : No matter what, I should stay calm, cool and avoid stress –> It will bean interesting challenge.
- Study beforehand the requirements. It’s okay to take time to discuss and make suggestions that might not have been considered. Often, a simpler solution might address most of the requirements while the rest might only be some “nice to have” things
- Don’t play solo : be a team player, ask your co-workers for help. There must be someone who knows how to solve the problem you are facing. That will help you save time and finish before your deadline.
- Do not underestimate yourself : It will only make things worst. Focus on the job and consider each bug as a challenge and an opportunity to learn.
- It’s Okay to say “ I don’t know”
Well, I guess this is how dev life looks like. I have made the first steps.
There are more challenges to come , I think I’ am enjoying it