Mango-Baby Steps: Setting up the Environment
In my previous post , I wrote about Mango , its new features and the new capabilities for developers.
This time I will explore the Mango features and share what I ‘m learning with you
The Mango- Baby Steps are a serie of posts where we will learn EVERYTHING about Windows Phone 7.1 starting from setting up the environment till creating an app with the new live tiles and background agents …
Ready ? Let’s go
Mango is not available on phones yet so you can’t submit applications targeting Windows Phone 7.1 OS to the Marketplace . If you are interested in submitting apps to the Marketplace you should work with Windows Phone 7.0 .
First you should know that virtual machines, Windows Server and Windows XP are not supported !
You should have a Windows 7 (x86 / x64) or a Windows Vista (x86 / x64) with service pack 2 on your machine except Starter edition ( W7 or Vista) , 4GB of free disk space on the system drive and 3 GB RAM to be able to have Mango.
- You don’t have Visual Studio on your machine !! No problem , you still can install the Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.1 Beta . Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone will be installed as part of the tools.
- You can use Visual Studio Professional edition or higher ,if it’s already installed, after installing Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.1 Beta .
- If you have Visual Studio RTM installed, you must install Service Pack 1 RTM before installing Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.1 Beta .
- If you installed Visual Basic for Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.0 , you must uninstall it before having the Tools 7.1 Beta .
- If you have a localized version of Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.0 installed, you must uninstall it before installing Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.1 Beta.
- If you have a localized version of Expression Blend installed, you must uninstall it before installing Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.1 Beta.
System Requirements …checked ! Installation prerequisites…checked ! Time to install the Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.1 Beta
you need to :
- Download the web installer to get Mango .
- Click the download link vm_web2.exe and follow the instructions.
Easy !!! I know
Now to make sure that everything just went smooth , when you create a new Windows Phone application you should have those templates:
Congratulations Windows Phone Developer Tools 7.1 Beta is successfully installed on your machine